- This event has passed.
December 16, 2022
Friday, December 16 | all day
A posada is an important Latino holiday tradition that happens all over the world on each of the nine nights before Christmas. Join us at Pretend City as we have a blast celebrating together through crafts and story time!
Art (all day):
- Come together to use paper mâché to make a large piñata that we can hang in the art studio for the entirety of Las Posadas!
- Join us in making luminarias out of white paper bags, stamp punches, and patterned scissors! Then, take them home to put a fake tealight candle inside!
- Have a feast in our sensory bin with tongs, plates, and lots of good food!
Purpose of the Play: Through these activities, children will be able to discover new holidays and have fun celebrating through art. They will learn about 3D modeling, cause and effect, and be able to practice their scissor skills and fine motor skills.
Santa Meet and Greet (9am-11:30am):
- Pretend City citizens will have the opportunity to meet Santa and take a photo with him!
Story Time (Times: 11am & 2:30pm):
- In Uno, Dos, Tres, Posada! by Virginia Kroll, a young Latina girl guides readers through lively illustrated Las Posadas traditions. Children can learning counting to ten in English and Spanish, as well as Spanish vocabulary words!
Art Exploration (directly following story time):
- Using real poinsettias, we will paint works of art to take home and hang them in our houses to decorate to add to the Posadas fiesta!
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission