- This event has passed.
December 28, 2022
Wednesday, December 28 | all day
Kwanzaa is a winter holiday that celebrates African heritage. During the seven days of Kwanzaa, we celebrate the importance of family, friends, and community! Join us at Pretend City as we have fun with this holiday’s cultural traditions.
Art (all day):
- When people come together, they can make a big change! Draw yourself on our Pretend City mural and write how you can contribute to ujima (collective work and responsibility)!
- Celebrate kuumba (creativity) by using different instruments to paint a lovely masterpiece!
- Come together to discover the first principle of Kwanzaa, umoja (unity)! Cook food together in our sensory bin and make a delicious meal for everyone to enjoy!
Purpose of the Play: These activities will encourage children to come together and also learn about different cultures. They will develop fine motor skills, learn about community, develop social-emotional connections, take healthy risks, learn about cause and effect, and have fun with each other.
Story Time (11 AM & 2:30 PM):
- The book The First Kwanza by Karen Katz provides a warm and lively introduction to a very special holiday, helping even the youngest children join in!
- Setting the Candles: We will go through the candles with the children and allow them to help us place them on the Kinara (candle holder)
Purpose of the Play: This activity gives children early exposure to a variety of cultures, cultural competencies and awareness.
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission
Grown-up Tip: The winter season is a wonderful opportunity to talk about seasonal clothing. Before getting ready, take a moment to step outside and do a weather check. Create an opportunity for your child to feel the wind, sunshine, rain, snow…on their skin. Ask questions such as, “How does the weather feel and what should we wear today?” Allow your child to make choices based on their body and pack extra clothing together if necessary!