- This event has passed.
December 23, 2022
Friday, December 23 | all day
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Stop by Pretend City to engage in fun holiday traditions from around the world, meet Santa, and warm your heart with a Christmas adventure story!
Art (all day):
- In the Philippines, lots of people celebrate with a beautiful parol! Make your own parol ornament out of paper, string, and tissue paper!
- In Japan, people also give gifts to each other, but they use an eco-friendly cloth called furoshiki! Using cloth and markers, make your own eco-friendly wrapping that you can give to a loved one this holiday season!
- Play in a winter wonderland sensory table with fake snow!
Purpose of the Play: Through these activities, children will get to learn about how Christmas is celebrated in different parts of the world. They will also develop fine motor skills, writing skills, scissor skills, and folding skills. They will develop neurological pathways through sensory play and also learn about recycling by using reusable materials.
Santa Meet and Greet (9am-12pm):
- Pretend City citizens will have the opportunity to meet Santa and take a photo with him!
Story Time (11am & 2:30pm):
- In the book Little Blue Truck’s Christmas by Alice Schertle, Little Blue Truck spreads cheer by delivering Christmas trees to his animal friends. Can you help count each green tree from one to five and back again? Don’t forget to save one for Blue! Beep! Beep!
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission
Grown-up Tip: Share stories with your children about traditions and activities that you celebrated when you were growing up. It is a great story-telling experience and provides a closer bond between parent and child.