- This event has passed.
Celebrate Winter Solstice
December 22, 2021
Wednesday, December 22
It’s officially winter! Join us as we learn all about winter solstice and the changing of seasons! We will have winter-themed art and activities for little ones to join in the winter wonderland fun!
Purpose Behind the Play: Literacy and communication, language development, social-emotional development, number concepts, gross and locomotor practice, and science cognition
- Smart Art (Times Vary): Visit the Art Studio where we’ll have a flurry of winter-themed art activities for you and your children to create.
- Ice Exploration- Come see all the ways you can incorporate ice into your art explorations!
- Winter Prints – We will explore winter animals as we use their footprints to create a collaborative piece!
- Sensational Story Time(11:30 AM): The Shortest Day > The beginning of winter is marked by the solstice, the shortest day of the year. This book explains what the winter solstice is and how it has been observed by various cultures throughout history. A simple science activity from the book will follow this storytime and will teach your child how the seasons are made due to the earth’s tilt.
- Simple Science (3 PM): Salt and Ice> Do you know what happens when you add salt to ice? Join us in our experiment as we ask our guests to add salt to ice and observe the reaction!
Grown-up Tip: The winter season is a wonderful opportunity to talk about seasonal clothing. Before getting ready, take a moment to step outside and do a weather check. Create an opportunity for your child to feel the wind, sunshine, rain, snow…on their skin. Ask questions such as, “How does the weather feel and what should we wear today?” Allow your child to make choices based on their body and pack extra clothing together if necessary!
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission