- This event has passed.
World Oceans Week
June 8, 2022 - June 12, 2022
During World Oceans Week we learn about the impact of our human actions on the ocean, support the global movement of citizens for the sustainable care of our oceans – near and far.
Purpose Behind the Play: Language and literacy development, fine/gross motor development, listening skills, creativity, general knowledge, scientific discovery, career development
Smart Art (on-going):
- Make a Critter> Come use recycled materials to create sea creatures from a tiny shrimp to a massive whale
- Build a Boat > Set sail with a colorful vessel of your very own!
- Ocean Colors > Sensory bin > From the shallow shore and clear waters to the deep dark waters of the ocean, let’s see how easy or hard it is to catch fish and finds rocks
Sensational Story Time in Orange Plaza:
- June 8 (11 AM & 2:30 PM) If Sharks Disappeared > A healthy ocean is home to many kinds of animals including small animals and large ones! Did you know that sharks are a necessity in keeping our oceans healthy? What would happen if sharks were to disappear?
- June 9 (11 AM) Sealion Story > Shared with us by our friends at The Pacific Marine Mammal Center, this cute story takes us on an adventure with a sealion who finds himself in trouble until a friend comes along to help out.
- June 9 (2:30 PM) All the Water in the World > This beautifully poetic story guides children through the water cycle. Where does water come from? Where does water go? Children will discover we’ll connected by water.
- June 10 (11 AM & 2:30 PM) I am the Biggest Thing in the Ocean> What happens when our squid friend thinks he’s the biggest thing in the ocean and then meets the whale!
- June 11 (11AM & 2:30 PM) Sea Anemones > Absolutely yucky creatures make for exciting adventures! We’ll explore some of the slimiest critters on the planet, including their habitats, basic characteristics and habits.
Play Partner: June 9 (10 AM – 4 PM): The Pacific Marine Mammal Center will join us all day so come visit with them to learn about how to support sealions and other marine mammals in our local ocean.
Super Science (immediately following Storytime):
- June 9: Sealions > Let’s see what cute nose we can make for our sealion friend.
- June 12: Exploring the Ocean Layers > We’ll use various materials to represent the many layers of the ocean and which ocean friends live where.
Music & Movement (before or after story time):
- Slippery Fish > Sing along with our smallest fish all the way to our largest creature in the world, the whale!
- Baby Shark > This catchy, rhythmic song excites children and grownups too leading to fun dance and movement.
- The Goldfish Song > Listening skills will help your child enjoy this silly song as they move their bodies in response. Do fish brush their teeth and ride bikes? We’ll see!
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission