- This event has passed.
Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
January 16 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Every child is unique and they should know that no matter how different their friend may look from them, everyone should be treated fairly. On this special day at Pretend City, we want to have an open discussion with your child about equality. Don’t miss out on this important life lesson for your child! We are open a FULL day today!
- Art Studio Sessions: Self Portraits > As children create their very own self-portrait, they will engage in discussions that show them that even though we are different in many ways (skin color, hair color, eye color, age, etc.) – everyone is special and we have many of the same hopes, dreams and feelings on the inside.
- Smart Art: Peace Dove > Today in our Art Studio we will learn all about the word Peace and create a Dove of Peace handprint to encourage peaceful play at Pretend City and at home.
- Sensational Storytime (11:30am): Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with Mrs. Park’s Class> Join us in Orange Plaza today as we read a book written by Alma Flor Ada. The students in Mrs. Park’s class prepare to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. ‘s Day by thinking about the values he taught. After the reading children will engage in an art activity where they will be drawing a picture of their dreams for a better world.
- Cooking up Culture (2:30pm): Different Eggs > Children will explore eggs of different colors. Together we will observe the eggs, open them up, and talk about their similarities and differences. The message is very clear. While the eggs are different on the outside, they are all the same on the inside, just like people.
- Music & Movement (3:30pm): Martin Luther King > Dr. King had a dream of peace! What is your child’s dream? Come find out during this fun music and movement activity time.
Grown-up Tip: Modeling respect through courtesy is a powerful tool. When children see their parents being respectful they learn to be respectful. Our children want to be just like us so use every moment as a teachable moment and model the desired behavior of respect in your daily interactions with others.
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission
*Activities are subject to change and limited to availability.